Dear Members and Gallery Vertigo supporters,
We are in need of your support. As many of you know, our building sold recently. We have stayed open to date largely because we have been paying far below market value for rent in our space. A rent increase under new ownership was inevitable, and we are now looking at double the rent until January when it will triple. In fairness to the new owner, triple our rent is still quite a bit under market value for the amount of space we have. We are also looking at a move in the spring where we will be lucky to find something of equal space for the same amount.
We always rely on the Almost Famous fundraiser as a major source of revenue to help keep the gallery going, particularly in the few months before the new funding comes in in March. This year the fundraiser will make or break us. If we don’t do extremely well, we won’t be able to afford the rent increase in January, which means we likely won’t even make it through until our move.
We are asking for full membership and community support this year, as it will determine whether Gallery Vertigo continues to exist. Support can include the following:
· Attendance!! This is critical! It is going to be a very fun fundraiser this year, with full band live music, including Tanya Lipscomb, my band Small Kitchen Chaos and headliners Steel Wound. We will also have a full bar this year, supported by a sponsorship by Red Truck Brewery.
· Art Submissions: We will accept Almost Famous pieces up until December 4th. We will also accept art submissions of any kind. We will hold a smaller live auction for Almost Famous pieces as we did last year, and then have 3 different themes of silent auctions: additional Almost Famous items, donated (non-Almost Famous) artwork, and the remaining pieces of Ada McMechan’s pottery.
· Other fundraisers: We are holding a follow-up pottery sale of Ada McMechan’s work on November 28th from 1-5:30pm, to coincide with the DVA’s Xmas Light-up. Whatever does not sell will be silently auctioned at Almost Famous.
· Volunteer: We are seeking volunteers to help at the pottery sale and, more importantly, at Almost Famous. Door people, food donations, and people to help with set up and tear down are desperately needed.
· Financial: I know most of us are starving artists, but your financial support would be greatly appreciated, even if that comes in the form of attending the fundraiser and bidding on pieces.
Please know this plea does not come lightly. I truly believe that Gallery Vertigo and the NOAA fill a role in this community that is not filled by other organizations, and this may be our last chance to keep that going. Thank you so much for your support throughout the years.
Gallery Vertigo Executive Director